Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to set up a 30' cat with single drive?

502procharger
    anyone know how far a #3A drive propshaft hangs down from the bottom of the gimble?

nhbuoy
    HEY 502PROCHARGER...Why dick around with the MERC stuff(ESP antique drives)???In your particular application I would be thinking KAAMA or ARNESON drives...Pretty much ZERO drag(ESP since you will be driving off the CENTER POD of that particular hull),completely trimmable,they are INDESTRUCTABLE,LOW maintenance,& BIG horsepower w/reliability is NOT an issue...There are other advantages as well but I don't want to overstate the case...Let me know if this is an option...

502procharger
    my problem is getting the prop into the water with a surface drive and such a shallow center pod. take a look at the picture a few responses up and you will see what i mean. i need something to hang down to about the same hight as the bottom of my outside sponsons. any ideas i would love to hear them.

DogHouse
    How about a V-drive? Can the thrust angle on them be altered? On a big boat like that you could mount a V-drive way forward and use a long prop shaft to reduce the thrust angle. I assume you'll be using some sort of transmission with that turbine. Interesting project ya got going there!

502procharger
    i am open to any ideas, i have the boat and the turbine. drive system as not yet been worked out. i really do not mean to sound stupid b/c i have no v-drive experiance but what is thrust angle? and can a v-drive be used on such a big cat. If so how do i determine where the prop shaft must end to work with my hull? again anyone who has any info or ideas for me please help. I was planning on mounting both the turbine and a v drive gearbox on the same angle so that the output of the v drive gearbox ran parallel with the bottom of the center pod so i could connect a driveshaft between the output of the v-drive and my trans. then out to whatever drive i choose. i could also skip the trans and go to a b-max, but i do not think it would hold up. HELP!!

nhbuoy
    HEY 502PROCHARGER...OK, I didn't look at your pix close enough, BUT, I think those KAAMA/ARNESON drive(s) MAY still work...They are a TRUE surfacing unit & with alot of length off the center pod I think the water "break" will be high enough that it probably won't be a problem...Call Howard Arneson...He has a SKATER (NO C-POD!!) with a turbine & one of his drives(at least I THINK it's a single)...BTW...Those drives are chain driven so synchronizing two of them off one power source isn't a big deal either...Let me know what you think....LATAPOTATA>>>>>>>>>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12