Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: convert from 455 to 460

1975sleekcraft
    if you do keep the olds you need to check out this thread.
    goto search...........type in "455 guy's engine buildup"
    there is alot of extra stuff you need to do to keep them together!
    I did most of what this guy did plus i went with the 10qt pan
    ive ran it hard for three seasons pull'in 5300 rpms often.
    something to check out.........

77CobraJet455
    I just bought a jet with an olds 455 that had been built to all the specs. The guy blew a intake gasket and got scared by the milkshake oil and sold it. A simple fix and I now have a 455 pushing 552 HP with all the considerations for the oiling probs for cheap. It is a great motor if built correctly. I would recommend finding out if the engine is good before taking any drastic steps. Im young and new to the game but thats just my thoughts.

Sleek-Jet
    Sorrry! I had no idea you would interpret blown for supercharged! no, this is my first boat, i mean blown up! I havent got any pictures yet so check the auction. It will be here Sat.
    Heres the link: I hope this was a good deal.
    Ebay:Koni 18Ft jetboat (http://cgi.ebay.ca/1973-455-KONA-MAK...0653QQcmdZView Item )
    My mistake...
    If the guy has done some work to the motor, you might just need to check the bearings and put a new set of gaskets in it and go boating. How did he come to the conclusion that the block was cracked?? If it has the turkey-pan steel intake gasket, I would be willing to bet that is where the water is comming from. One of the gasket companies (Mr. Gasket I believe) makes a fiberous intake gasket that seals much better and holds up to the higher water pressure in a jet boat application.
    If you want to sell the alt/powerstearing/AC brackets off the other engine, let me know.

I dunno, Im just reading what he wrote in the auction. He said it was a hairline crack near a freezeplug. Im definatly going to try to see what the problem is with the motor already in it. He said he is sending a ton of paperwork on what has been done to the motor by the previous owner. Homefully Ill be lucky too. Then id just sell the junkyard motor/trans.
    But if it really has spun a bearing, would that mess up the crankshaft/block? Would it be as simple as spinning a new bearing in place?

1975sleekcraft
    if the motor did spin one you definetly have to tear the motor all the way down.
    hopefull the crank is on the stock grind.in a jet boat you don't want too much ground off it. if it's a rod knock your going to need to get your rods sized up.
    if you spun a main,your going to need to get them sized up.
    if the motor spun something or is knocking-there is no quick fix!

sidewound
    I just bought a jet with an olds 455 that had been built to all the specs. The guy blew a intake gasket and got scared by the milkshake oil and sold it. A simple fix and I now have a 455 pushing 552 HP with all the considerations for the oiling probs for cheap. It is a great motor if built correctly. I would recommend finding out if the engine is good before taking any drastic steps. Im young and new to the game but thats just my thoughts.
    How did you get this hp claim???? That's pretty extreme for a normally aspirated olds without something real trick. What's the deal?? Did it dyno at that hp???
    Just wondering if I missed some secret deal when I built mine.I sure didn't get that.
    sidewound

maxwedge
    Hey that thing was on ebay a while back in WI right? If you are close by and interested I have a friend with a good running stock Hardin olds 455 he'd probably sell pretty cheap if he still has it (and I'm guessing he does). He was asking $500 back in Aug. I was thinking of buying it for a spare but decided not too because mine seems to be doing fine. I'm in IL.

Im in GA. The motor he put in the pics is the junkyard motor. He said it ran when took out. Cant wait till it arrives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12