Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chevy starters

Hustler
    I just put a RB Performance starter on my boat for this past weekend and I gotta tell ya it works flawless, I have gone through so many starters in my boat and none of them ever worked this good, The RB performance started comes with a 5 year warranty also. if you are in the LA area you can get them from Jim Brock at Cyclone marine.

squirts
    Well thanks everyone but I just ordered one from Rex Marine the IMI model. I will pick up a new flex plate to go with this. If theres any pros or cons for the IMI let me know as I leave for Parker Wensday morning and I can pick up one at RB if the IMI isnt what it should be. Again thanks for all of your input.

Jet Junk
    Boater Bill: The added weight of a flywheel versus a flexplate will slow the rate the engine is capable of accelerating at slightly. A flywheel is more rigid and deflects less, keeping the gears better aligned. This is not to say a flexplate won't work. My boat has a flexplate and it starts fine, just has a ringing noise after the starter disengages.
    I believe someone asked if the gear reduction starters were the marine type? As far as that goes, the late model Delco gear reduction units factory installed on most newer Merc. stuff are completely identical to the conventional automotive counterparts. The only difference (and an important one) on the earlier Delco starters was the center plate, which basically sealed the armature, brushes and field coils of the starter. All aftermarket hi-torque gear reduction starters are shielded in this manner. This does not mean they are "coast Guard" or "Marine" "Approved", But IMHO, they are a safe replacement for a Marine-type starter. Hope this helps....Tommy( Now to sit back and watch this post blow up)

powerplay230
    Don't worry Tommy, most of us would much rather see the post blow up instead of our motors or worse bilge... well unless maybe it won't sell!

Fired Up
    I also picked up a starter from Ron at RB Performance earlier this year. I'm not sure if you are in the local SoCal area , but he will be at the Pomona Swapmeet this coming weekend. Better yet just give him a call. He will get back to you. He has a variety of starters, alternators and waterpumps.

AZKC
    I use a marine starter that my Car Quest guy found. It's a sealed up HD unit and works great it ran me about $100. What do those hi-tech ones run?
    KC

Hustler
    superdave013:
    Only place to get a starter is from RB Preformance in Parker, Az.
    He ships any place. Ron Cook is the guy to talk to and he knows boats real well. His starters are all ball bearing unlike most others.
    His # is 928-669-6411
    This is a pic of his stuff at the Long Beach Swapmeet.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/RB_starters.JPG[/img]NOTE I changed the area code for Ron

powerplay230
    If indeed the gm piece is sealed like the marine piece, I have a like new gear reduction starter I took of my 502 before buying a "marine" one I would sell CHEAP.

Jet Junk
    I wouldn't say "sealed", but more accurately "shielded". If it indeed a Delco gear reduction started, it is identical to the Marine rated started except for the sticker.

squirts
    Well I just got back from the river nice all week long. I replaced the starter with a IMI and also put on a BM flex plate and so far no problems.So just wanted to say thanks for all the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12