Thread: how much power will a bravo one handle

race-sea
    anyone know how much hp and tq a bravo one out drive can handle??? light boat only 3500 pounds

DMOORE
    If you are talking stock, I don't think 600hp should be a problem. Of course there are people running more. Alot has to do with driver. Beating it up or not. With upgrades, it can handle a bunch more. I've got the Teague upgrades and run 800 through mine. A lighter boat will put less overall stress on them also.
    Darrell.

race-sea
    so 580hp should be ok for the bravo one outboard.......should i take off slow then get into it or can i nail it out of the hole......my stock out drive doesnt have many hours on it and is in very good cond

245 LIMITED
    for info for you guys i had to contact mercruiser about my 88 bravo 1. heres the real deal. the bravo 1 is only rated for a max hp of 400hp. however they can handle more but not much and here is why. the drive shaft that links the upper gears to lower gears is only a 1" hardened shaft. where they fail is to hard getting out of hole and in rough water in and out flying the boat. if you have alot of hp be careful it will fail in time trust me mine did and cost me bucks to get it replaced cause when they let go it wipes um out..