Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It's really too bad....

lilrick
    Rick,
    It's Saturday morning, and I've got nothing to do, so why not take the bait. The reasons that you aren't going to see most of the "Heavy Hitters" from the jet forums out in the Nost Comp Jet Class are as follows:
    A fast 1/4mile boat might not work for $hit going in circles. I don't think guys like Cyclone, CS, or DJD would want to try their hand at cornering their tunnels hard on a single pin course. Nothin against their boats, but they weren't built with that task in mind.
    A fast 1/4mile Engine might not have the stones to run hard for extended periods of time. There is a measurable difference between a mill that can go 3/4 to WOT for a couple secons at a time vs. one that can go for 10s of minutes at a time. Again, no disrespect to anyone on the boards as some of the guys mentioned above DO have mills that could pull that off, but engine longevity is a concern.
    The class was BORING to watch, and I can't imagine it was much more entertaining to drive. There was you and the other guy that always won, then the class ambasador to spamdom who fielded a boat ONE time. With some boats in the field not even capable of making the max speed restriction, it's not like there was going to be some serious driving being done in the corners/accleration areas to make up for the fixed top speed.
    Next and most important of all, even if folks had capable boats, they'd be putting their river rig on the line, risking breakage that would shorten the recreational river season. Then compare the overall cost to go racing for a weekend, get approx 4-6 races in, and all the hubub that goes along with it to the cost and of your average river trip where you do what you want, when you want, and I think it's pretty clear.
    Having a good idea of what it costs to go racing, and attending the Bakersfield race this past year, there was not a sense of urgency or excitement that made the financial sacrafice worth it in my mind or the minds of my friends. Simply put, while it looked like anyone with a somewhat capable boat could go out there and be competitive, there was nothing drawing me in to justify laying down the $$ needed to show up to enough races to have a shot at a series title. Yeah, maybe 3 or 4 of us pooling time and a boat might make it a little more bearable, but who wants to put their rig up to get banged on?
    No disrespect to the guys who DO go out and run, as it's cool to see the jets out there, but you asked, and I gave you my opinion.
    Chris
    Chris
    You make some valid points, but still sound like EXCUSES!! I guess the jet class was not meant to be . The class was not boring for me or the people that participated. Oh well I gotta go work on my flattie!!

MikeF
    The only excuses I see are from a person trying to justify leaving a jetboat class and attempting to run a vdrive. It would seem as one of the jetboat circle classes biggest promoters is now backpedalling.....tells me about your conviction.
    If you really did want to see more jets out there then you would sell the vdrive, but that $ into making the pink bomber quicker/faster and clean house in the nostalgia events. That would drum up more interest in jetboats cause people now see that they can win with a ditch pump.
    Hope all the jetboats you go up against finish ahead of you! And then hear all the excuses about why "I did not finish in the front of the pack." :crossx:

MikeF
    Milton Waddams.....now there's a man with conviction. :crossx:

flat broke
    Milton Waddams.....now there's a man with conviction. :crossx:
    Sorry Mike, we need some room for storage, so we're going to have to move your desk again...
    Rick,
    You caught me, I'm just full of BS and excuses. Damnit, after all these years on the boards I thought I had carefully created a facade that would hide my fear of jetboat racing; but apparently my guise was no match for your piercing insight.
    Chris

lilrick
    Sorry Mike, we need some room for storage, so we're going to have to move your desk again...
    Rick,
    You caught me, I'm just full of BS and excuses. Damnit, after all these years on the boards I thought I had carefully created a facade that would hide my fear of jetboat racing; but apparently my guise was no match for your piercing insight.
    Chris
    lol... That was the only nimwitted comeback I could think of!! I was lookin' to pick on a weaker suckboater!!

lilrick
    The only excuses I see are from a person trying to justify leaving a jetboat class and attempting to run a vdrive. It would seem as one of the jetboat circle classes biggest promoters is now backpedalling.....tells me about your conviction.
    If you really did want to see more jets out there then you would sell the vdrive, but that $ into making the pink bomber quicker/faster and clean house in the nostalgia events. That would drum up more interest in jetboats cause people now see that they can win with a ditch pump.
    Hope all the jetboats you go up against finish ahead of you! And then hear all the excuses about why "I did not finish in the front of the pack." :crossx:

I hate when you're right Mike!! buzz off and let me rant!!! :devil:

Lilrick Im not a circle guy but if there were races being held Id snatch up a Hornet or something and be out there with you guys. The truth is, Im not willing to give up all my free time and energy to bring the races back, Im more into trying to get guys to come out and go drag racing at the moment. As it is right now my current projects take up more than just my free time to keep operating, it would be tough to do both but If the racing was alive and well I would take a look at getting into it for sure.Thats how im looking at the whole thing.
    BTW, your hornet is for sale at a great price, good luck on the sale and your new venture with that flatbottom thing.

lilrick
    thank you chris.

Moneypitt
    Rick, racin' is racin'. Regardless of the class. From the smallest knelldown hydro to the fastest K boat, it's racin'. I would like to see more jets competing in Comp Jet with no speed limit, like it was years ago. I may be wrong here, but I think circle racing's roots are tied fairly close to the jet boats. Only when there is a true desire, an absolute commitment, will there be enough boats to make up a class. (or more than one, based on equipment used). If 1/8 of the "fast jetboaters" here on the boards had that desire, that commitment, there would be a class. Don't forget, that desire also entails spending outragious amounts of money for safety equipment, for travel, for lodging, for entry fees, club/sanctioning body fees, and of course fuel. And of course someone has to be the "leader", the person that pushes others into this addiction, kinda like a dealer, to support their own habit/addiction. A few years ago the PS class was dying and without the efforts of people like Jeff Wooton, it would have. I believe there are several CJ racers in the Pacific Northwest, (region 10 APBA), and they don't use any speed limits, just flat out. So, are you ready to go up north? Contact circlejerk, he can direct you to the jet racers and maybe you could organize several fast jets from region 12 to get after them at a race next year. Plans, man, plans, is where it's at. Gotta be prepared for the long haul. You could actually finish a full season of boat racing with a small fortune, providing you start with a large fortune........Ray

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234