Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak at balancer...

One more thing....... If there is a groove in the balancer that is big enough to cause a serious oil leak, you should closely inspect the rest of the balancer. Specifically, look at the condition of the elastomer ring between the balancer hub and the outer steel ring. If it is cracked or looking perished in any way, you should replace the balancer.
    I'll second that, as I've had one come apart. If rubber is cracked looking throw it in the trash. I've also had one move just enough to make me think I was seeing things on the timing light. Checked tdc when couldn't make er run, sure enough it moved about a inch.

wsuwrhr
    You are talking about the timing mark right?
    Brian
    sure enough it moved about a inch.

GofastRacer
    I'll second that, as I've had one come apart. If rubber is cracked looking throw it in the trash. I've also had one move just enough to make me think I was seeing things on the timing light. Checked tdc when couldn't make er run, sure enough it moved about a inch.
    I wouldn't even think about running one of those balancers, I seen the outer ring come off on a new one before at high rpm and it acted like a buzz saw, it chopped up everything in it's path and then went out the side of the boat, that's some scary chit there!..

Yes timing mark moved Brian... a bunch. Also the rubber didn't look all that bad on that particular balancer.
    GFR, I wouldn't run one on a hipo boat motor either. These were in truck apps. I had one where the outer was half way off the inner. Luckily caught and replaced before the explosion. There's alot of them running around out there though on boats and they should be checked and replaced if the rubber is cracked / fatigued at all.

I pulled the balancer about an hour ago. The seal had come completely out of the timing cover. By the contact line on the seal it looks to me like it was never seated squarely in the cover to begin with. Not far off but a little off. Had no locktite or any other type of sealant other than the green stuff that comes on them. Seal is a CR 3860095.
    I'm not real happy with the stamping of the cover, it appears that there is not a whole lot of flat contact area for the seal to mount into when compared to another cover that I had laying around.
    Balancer looks good, no grooves, rubber looks fine.
    I'm going to put another seal in it and make sure its all seated properly and try it again. If it comes out again I'll change out the timing cover for a more quality piece.
    I should have pulled it apart before posting, but as long as I've been goofing with engines I've never had a front seal problem, much less a seal come out. With the changing of the other parts it just seemed too coincidental.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Mark

I'm not real happy with the stamping of the cover, it appears that there is not a whole lot of flat contact area for the seal to mount into when compared to another cover that I had laying around.
    I wonder if GM has gone to some cheap imported shit type cover. What you describe isn't good. I'd just change the cover now, being a known problem so you don't have to do it again if the seal doesn't have contact area to seat properly. If that's the case the seal will likely just come out again.

I might have an old stock cover if it's a Mark 4 motor, laying around. If you need let me know.

wsuwrhr
    I might have an old stock cover if it's a Mark 4 motor, laying around. If you need let me know.
    Is it made of aluminum?
    I might just want it.
    :argue: :argue:
    Brian

No just an old stock steel one, rust included no extra charge. Did they even make stock alum?

rrrr
    Concerning the front seal, there is something else to remember. The seal must be concentric to the seal surface on the balancer. The best way to insure this is to set the timing cover in place, install the balancer and THEN install/tighten the timing cover bolts.
    Thass a good idea! I'll remember to do that next time.... :rollside:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast