Thread: Transom depth sender?

Beer-30
    Anyone running a transom-mount depth transducer on a boat running 60 mph or better?
    The gauge information says it will give accurate readings to 65 mph.
    Mine came with thru-hull and transom. I used the thru-hull, but like many others, it doesn't give a reading over about 10 mph. I attribute this to thick hull and air-inducing stepped bottom.
    Since I have the trans-mount, I am wondering if it is worth the holes to try it? If someone has already attempted this, I am curious if it works well - or is it at the bottom of the lake?

jbone
    Mine is mounted at the very back of the bildge area.
    It seems to work at all speeds, but I'm usually under 65.
    I use it to help me remember where the shallow areas are, because it is very shallow where I run.
    J

Quality Time
    The only experience I have with a transom mount was on my Dad's 16' tri-hull. It worked fine, but the boat ran less then 50:sleeping: Another option would be a true through hull, but that means drilling a hole in the bottom of your boat:sqeyes:

LUVNLIFE
    Ihad the same prob with the thru hull on my 23, Eagle. I would like to add one to this boat but not sure I want to drill holes, but would like it to work at speed. Dilema no doubt.

jbone
    There is no hole drilled for my through transom.
    It must go through the hull, because it is in the bildge area as far back as it can go next to the jetpump intake. It is a Livorsi digital if that means anything. About 2 inches in diameter in the dash.
    It works for me.
    J

Beer-30
    There is no hole drilled for my through transom.
    It must go through the hull, because it is in the bildge area as far back as it can go next to the jetpump intake. It is a Livorsi digital if that means anything. About 2 inches in diameter in the dash.
    It works for me.
    J
    The thru-hull "pucks" shoot through the hull material. There would be no hole. I have seen some rare ones that actually do mount on the bottom of the boat and are flush with the running surface. That is way too big of a hole for me.
    On stepped-bottoms, the turbulence generally ruins the signal. Plus, larger boats have thicker bottoms and degrade the signal further.
    I just would hate to drill the small holes on the back (could always be filled, though) just to have the sensor rip off at normal lake speeds.

Quality Time
    I have seen some rare ones that actually do mount on the bottom of the boat and are flush with the running surface.
    This is what I was refering to as through hull (with a hole). I have this on my current and past rigs. I did have shoot through the hull on my boat before these two.