Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Is The Oddest Thing You've Dropped In An Engine?

Infomaniac
    i thought of this thread today when i was working on my bosses truck. his kick down rod poped off of the linkage on the holley and i couldnt find a new e clip for it so i improvised with some safety wire. as i was clipping the excess off where do you think it landed? right in the secondaries. I had the engine running during all of this and luckily i plucked it right out with the magnet i had in my shirt pocket.
    Must have been bailin wire dude. Safety wire is stainless.

Itsahobby
    While installing a new cam in a Datsun motor, I was using a screw driver to keep the timing chain out of the way, while installing the chain tensioner. Guess what I forgot to remove, after I got the tensioner install?

retromek
    Left a 7/16" Snap-On combo below an aftercooler ina 6v92. Stayed there for a 1-2 years. Same engine came in and I got it back, it was resting against the liners.

retromek
    Funniest deal though has to be when changing air brake diaphragms borrowed a buddies vicegrips to do all of them on the truck at at the same time. (They're used to cage the spring on air brakes)
    Well a couple days later the truck goes down for pulling to the left during braking they bring it in and pull out my buddies vice grip still holding the brake chamber from working. :rollside:

LakesOnly
    This past weekend, I changed out the valve stem seals on the F-250's 460 motor. Y'all know the drill: pull the rockers and pushrods, feed a little nylon rope into the cylinder, turn the piston to TDC and compress the rope/hold the valves up, then pop the keeps/retainer. Upon reassembly, as I was feeding a pushrod through the head's pushrod hole and attempting to find the lifter's pushrod cup by feel, I accidentally let go of the pushrod and it slid down the cylinder head....almost into the lifter valley. Luckily, it didn't make it.
    Slightly off topic, but another one: Throttle cable broke on my old Ramcharger once...middle of no-where, no alternatives. What to do? I removed a shoelace from my shoe and tied it to the carburetor's bell crank, fed the other end of the shoe string through the hood by the cowl, and then got in the truck and yanked the cord from the wing window to keep on driving.
    LO

steelcomp
    Left a 7/16" Snap-On combo below an aftercooler ina 6v92. Stayed there for a 1-2 years. Same engine came in and I got it back, it was resting against the liners.This is why aircraft mechanics don't put their names on their tools...you can get in pretty hot water for leaving tools behind on an aircraft. That was one mistake I never made.

retromek
    Well this all happened back in the day before random drug testing and Saftey Sensitive positions.
    Air craft tools are way expensive is this True?

SmokinLowriderSS
    Some aircraft tools are expensive, some aren't. Depends on if it is a specialized tool or not, and whose corporate name is on it (like Craftsman, Proto, Mac, or Snap-on). 90 deg air drill, $350+ Straight air drill, $50 to $200, Daniels wire crimpers, $200 to $600 ea. plus positioner heads, Stanley screwdriver, $3.
    I wire Learjets for a living, 10 years now. Started as a sheet-metal mechanic.

DUNDUN
    ive only really helped on two engine rebuilds in my life.. i was 14 or 15 and working on my dads 396 late at night, we were almost done and we were gonna put the intake back on and i dropped an intake bolt.. luckily it didnt fall in and i was able to catch it on the way down and he had no idea.. meh.. close enough for comfort.

Slacker
    After finishing replacing a intake gasket on a friends mustang, i was gathering up the tools etc. I couldnt remember if i took the rag out of the lifter valley or did my buddy remove it? Decided to be safe than sorry and sure enough there it was . I still dont know how you miss a bright red rag?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345