Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: neo-vane pump

Brewer
    I had a problem with the pump constantly "eating" impellers, along with overheating at speed. After several frustrating sessions, I found that polishing the inside of the cover restored the efficiency of the pump. The inside of the cover didn't even look bad, but apparently it was enough to disrupt flow. I used 220 grit sandpaper, working my way up to 600. Good luck

sgdiv7
    Hey guys,
    I took all lines off and checked for being pluged or flaps in hoses, couldn't find nothing. I hooked up a psi. guage to check water psi. and I found that it was 3lbs at idle and 15 lbs. 6000 rpm. Does this sound about right for 2 -8 lines one going to the headers and one exiting the boat? no thermostat in the system.
    I have another question, is it possible at W.O.T. /460 CI. bbc. with 8 lbs of boost that there is not time enough for the water to turn to steam before it comes out of the headers. the engine does not over heat. Temp. always stays at 180 deg. people watching tell me that there is no water comming out of the headers when I have my foot to the floor. when I am at a cruise speed all kinds of steam. Am I just Chasing a ghost here?
    Bill

sgdiv7
    Thank you guys for all your help. I went to the lake this weekend talked with fellow v-drive boaters all running blown BBC. come to find out that all there boats do the exact same thing as mine. The problem is need to inject more water, the water lines will not flow enough water.
    Hey Superdave, you were right big restriction.
    Again guys thanks for all your help.
    I have a good excuse to buy new headers now huh,
    Bill

superdave013
    Hey glad to help. I would not inject more water into your headers though. Who cares if they are not steaming at WOT. Your not doing 100 mph passes in front of the Ranger anyway. You are getting some water in them. I myself hate water injection. I have f--ked up more than one set of exhaust vlaves because if it. I was running dry headers with mufflers. And when I did run injection, I injected it in the collector as close to the end as i could. I even installed a tube that was bent 90 deg so it was facing the end of the collector. It still got in the heads!! Big cams and water injection did not work good for me.

Gary
    10-4 on that one Super D. Stuffing more water in the engine is NOT the answer. If your water temp is not exceeding 180, I wouldn't be concerned. The minute that block is not getting enough water due to a plugged line from a vane for example, the temp will go to 240 or more in a matter of a minute or so. You are getting adequate cooling as it stands IMO.

DANS66STEVENS
    I HAVE USED A CAMPER ELECTRIC WATER PUMP FOR THREE YEARS. I HAVE RUN IT DRY. I HAVE DONE STUFF TO IT THAT IM SURE YOU SHOULDN'T AND IT STILL WORKS LIKE NEW. I WAS TOLD ONCE BY A GUY IT WOULD NEVER WORK.IT IS KINDA NOISY.JUST THOUGHT ID THROW IN MY 2 CENTS.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12