Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BBF 750 h.p.?

LakesOnly
    Paul was tellin me that he could get 750 from a set of d3s!!!!I am not positive if this statement refers to me or not, but in case it does, I just want to say that I never claimed to get 750HP from a set of "smogger" D3's...more accurately, I am in the middle of an "excersize" where I am attempting to break the 700HP mark with a par of those heads on a naturally aspirated, carbureted engine.
    LO

LakesOnly
    You can run factory iron heads and get 750hp. Using iron heads, 750 HP can indeed be accomplished on carbs and gas, but there is significant cylinder head rework effort involved along with a well planned engine combination. The builder had better really know what he is doing.
    Personally, I like making the iron heads work, but at the HP numbers Indiana T is shooting for on carbs and gas, and seemingly wanting to do this on his own, it would be simplest to get aluminum heads as ultimately the proper aluminum heads for the application will make hitting his mark easier.
    LO
    p.s. This is not so say it cannot be done with iron...it can, also, port plates not required, and if you are looking at port plates in an effort to squeeze every last iota of HP from a pair of cylinder heads then you should probably be looking at a different pair of heads (or still be running the iron only because you are required to run iron heads due to class rules).

LakesOnly
    You can start with FordMotorsport Super Cobra Jets, BlueThunder (BlueThunderAuto.com),Trick Flow Specialties (TFS) and Jon Kaase.
    Those are just 4 popular ones, there are a few others. Oh, Thor may make the best ones?
    How many cubic inches are you talking about?
    Sleeper CPThere are over 25 aftermarket heads for the BBF. As far as which are the "best" heads: there is no such thing. What needs to be selected is the most appropriate heads for this specific build and application. There are several good options in both iron and aluminum, but specifically which pair of heads depends on the rest of the package and the owner's needs.
    LO

IndianaTahiti
    Paul,how much flow can you get out of your drag port dove heads? and how much are they assembled?

Sleeper CP
    There are over 25 aftermarket heads for the BBF. LO
    25!! :jawdrop: Where the hell have I been, I quess I would have been able to run off 9-10 , but not 25. Learn something new everyday.
    I wish him well with his project, but if he is concerned about a few $ 100 bucks for porting I think he would be better off leaving this project on the back burner. If he is going to cut that corner where else is he going to cut that is going to cause some problems for him.
    He might want to consider boring his 460 +.06 or .08 to make a 477 out of it. bumping the compression to 11:1 with a roller cam and the best set of heads he can get with some good porting done to them. If he can't afford the roller cam then a good flat tappet and spend more money on the heads.
    I ran a 472 .060 over 460 with Dove-A heads and a roller cam and it really hauled ass maybe he could try that route also.
    Sleeper CP

IndianaTahiti
    25!! :jawdrop: Where the hell have I been, I quess I would have been able to run off 9-10 , but not 25. Learn something new everyday.
    I wish him well with his project, but if he is concerned about a few $ 100 bucks for porting I think he would be better off leaving this project on the back burner. If he is going to cut that corner where else is he going to cut that is going to cause some problems for him.
    He might want to consider boring his 460 +.06 or .08 to make a 477 out of it. bumping the compression to 11:1 with a roller cam and the best set of heads he can get with some good porting done to them. If he can't afford the roller cam then a good flat tappet and spend more money on the heads.
    I ran a 472 .060 over 460 with Dove-A heads and a roller cam and it really hauled ass maybe he could try that route also.
    Sleeper CP
    I have a 472 now,I am just in the planning stages for the ather one on the stand.I would like to stroke it just havent figured out which way to go yet.I would prefer to keep the c.r. at or under 12 to 1,probe pistons ,solid roller cam not sure on induction or heads yet.That is why I posted,to let someone convince me one way or another:devil: I do like the thread to the p51 heads! Reality is I will be buying parts slowly.Its not hard to lay out 500 or less without rasing too much suspicion

Sleeper CP
    That is why I posted,to let someone convince me one way or another:devil: I do like the thread to the p51 heads! Reality is I will be buying parts slowly.Its not hard to lay out 500 or less without rasing too much suspicion
    Remember: your engine, your choice. Your $500 at a time limit maybe a problem. As you can tell from my posts I'm not a big fan of the stock heads. If it were my money I would build a 472 or 477 with Alumi heads with good porting, 11:1 comp and a stought roller cam and good rods before I built a stroker with old, out dated cast iron heads. I think the good airflow on the smaller engine is a better choice than the large engine with lousy heads. Then you'll have the good heads to put on your stroker in 3-4 years.
    Also, have you thought about buying a 514 shortblock from Ford Racing?
    Good luck on the project.
    Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
    I think Sleeper CP and LakesOnly should debate over who's the biggest Ford Junkie

Sleeper CP
    I'll yield to Lakes. Hell, I can only name 9-10 aftermarket heads he knows of 25. He has me beat by a bunch and he does this for a living ,I just like it.
    Sleeper CP

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234