Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The REAL MPH difference between a Jet and a V drive!

You guys act like I dont know that a flat is faster with the same engine, I fully grasp all that.
    Some of this just isnt legit, thats all.
    How much for a bare canyon right now off a trailer?

A friend of mine was the World Record holder in Pro Gas Jet in 1991...held down both ends of the record...something like 8.055 @ 125 mph or so. So back then, 125mph was a fast as that natrually aspirated/carbureted motor could make the tunnel hull go...and World Record at that. The record was received with that engine, and the engine was retired and sat idle in his shop (for sentimental reasons).
    Then in 1993, the same engine was leased for a season to a guy running Pro Gas Flat. In the prop boat, the same motor moved the prop boat a consisent 7.80's @ 137 mph, or 12 mph faster than the world record holding Pro Gas Jet. The prop boat was the APBA high points champ that season, so max effort/consistency shows in both applicatons of the same engine, and the differences in speed are interesting, regardless different hulls, etc.
    BTW, last I heard, that record setting engine is currently going into a hydro...wonder how much faster it will go now? :idea:
    LO
    no need to drop the hint, its clear as day.Thats not the argument.
    you say he held the record at 125 "or so"? whos this?

LakesOnly
    You guys act like I dont know that a flat is faster with the same engine, I fully grasp all that.
    CS, if this is directed at me, I just want to say that I'm not posting toward you or anyone, really...I simply thought that this tidbit of info is fitting for the thread and its topic, thats all.
    no need to drop the hint, its clear as day.Thats not the argument.
    you say he held the record at 125 "or so"? whos this?
    I just looked it up, and the actual Record was 124.87 @ 8.055", held by Lem Evans (boat owner) and Roger Austin (driver).
    When I said, "(Dropping a Hint)," it was in referrence the last line about wondering how fast it will go in a hydro. The HINT is that I bought the engine for my Dimarco hydro, that's all. Didn't mean to misdirect you...I guess this be the wrong place to make the announcement.
    LO

superdave013
    What part of Quickjet's original post was BS then?
    And just for the record, I'm not knockin jets. I owned one and had lots of fun with it.

My 1974 Hondo only had a 461" blown deal and it ran faster and quicker then Cyclone's set up. Humm, yes I think there is a difference.
    wasting your time SD.
    The fact is, the Bahner was a turd. I still want to know what this bahner was set up like. Prolly no shoe/plate, 5 inches of hook and a rock grate. woo hoo.Just about every jetboats leaves the dealer with all that BS on it now, its something you just cant run without if your even a half ass performance guy.Even the ski boats have all that now.
    Was it the "REAL" difference? I doubt it.
    A Rogers recently left MPD and got all the BS that Roger's never took care of, loader,shoe,plate blah blah. it picked up 12 mph.this Bahner is a bit off its potential.

Can't handle the truth CS19? Jets are turds and more power is needed to run with flats? Accept it and purchase one!!!
    I can handle it.
    I like my boat, all the jet boat people, all the gatherings, and i like tinkering with them, maybe one day when Im burnt out ill run a canyon or something, for now im having fun with this.

CS,
    a bare Canyon is gonna cost you $8500 and that is if you can even get one built. Flakiest of builders.
    a Canyon ready to run "off the trailer" could run you $25K
    A used Canyon that is in decent shape is between 9K and 15K

superdave013
    I see your point. It's the same way with flats too really. I used to pit by Dave Sammonds. We ran pretty close to each other at the time (low 8's). I had my deal on kill and he had his set up very soft (and less cubic inches). I think it's safe to say his Canyon was just set up better and was a racier hull then my old Hondo was.

LakesOnly
    a bare Canyon is gonna cost you...if you can even get one built. Flakiest of builders.
    I dunno, man...a guy I know just waited sixteen months for his Bitz. http://southwindjetboats.com/forum/u...ns/jawdrop.gif
    This could be a whole thread topic unto itself.
    LO

superdave013
    I dunno, man...a guy I know just waited sixteen months for his Bitz. http://southwindjetboats.com/forum/u...ns/jawdrop.gif
    This could be a whole thread topic unto itself.
    LO
    At least he got it. lol

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast